BEFORE YOU GET THERE
1) Review the notes you have obtained about the company through research of your own and your prep call with your TLG consultant before your interview well enough to be able to show an interest in the company, what they do and the position you are interviewing for.
2) Rehearse a presentation (30 seconds to a minute) about yourself: including a brief synopsis about you, your prior jobs (and how they relate to the job for which you are interviewing), and your technical qualifications.
3) Make sure you have CORRECT directions to the location and allot yourself a little more than enough time to get there to AVOID BEING LATE!
4) Do not arrive more than 10 minutes early to your interview. If you happen to arrive to your destination a little too early, seek out a coffee shop, review your notes and practice selling yourself.
5) Know the name and title of your interviewer.
6) Have at least 2 clean copies of your resume and references and all other appropriate materials needed for your interview.
7) Have a polished and conservative appearance. Err on the side of being too professional when choosing an interview outfit.
8) Practice good hygiene and grooming.
DURING YOUR INTERVIEW
9) Offer a firm handshake.
10) NO gum chewing or smoking.
11) Wait until a seat is offered before sitting down.
12) If you carry anything into the meeting (i.e. briefcase or purse), place it on the floor by your chair.
13) Don’t interrupt the interviewer when he/she is speaking .
14) Maintain eye contact and good posture (lean slightly forward in your chair) to demonstrate your interest.
15) Answer all questions in a positive manner. NEVER be negative in an interview.
16) USE ACTION WORDS TO DESCRIBE YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS. Such as: I planned, created, developed, initiated, managed, etc.
17) Always be prepared to ask at least 3 good questions. You are often judged on the quality of your questions as well as the quality of your answers.
18) Letting a company know that you are a TEAM PLAYER and work well with others is very important.
19) Make sure to ask for business cards of whom you have interviewed with.
20) BE SURE TO “CLOSE” THE INTERVIEW with something like this: “I am extremely excited about this opportunity. What is the next step in the interviewing process?”
21) MOST IMPORTANT – BE ENTHUSIASTIC ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY.
22) Enjoy yourself and don’t forget to smile.
AFTER YOUR INTERVIEW
23) Make sure to follow up with your TLG consultant after leaving your interview to share your feedback.
24) Prepare separate thank you notes/emails addressed to your interviewer(s).
25) Wait for feedback from your TLG consultant.